Eat food, not too much, mostly plants. —Michael Pollan
We’re rounding the corner into the holidays followed by new year’s intention setting. This often comes with eating too much pumpkin pie (guilty as charged) and a resolution to do better in the new year.
To help with this dilemma, I wanted to share a few easy peasy tips that may help you bid adieu to eating animals and hello to eating more plants.
While you don’t need a massive overhaul (unless, of course, that’s your thing), consider these ideas on doing better for your health, the environment, and the animals. They’ll all thank you!
1. Replace cow’s milk with one of the many non-dairy options. I’m all about soy and oat milk these days.
2. Drink your fruits and veggies. I LOVE me some morning smoothies and get a huge pack of protein first thing. Here’s a how-to video I made to show how easy it is.
3. Join the TDJ Eat Plants Facebook group. I share recipes and love there weekly.
4. Tote nuts, baby carrots, crunchy chickpeas or beans (fave brand is Bada Bean Bada Boom) and fresh (or dried) fruit for snacking on-the-go.
5. When baking, use tofu or applesauce as an egg substitute.
6. Look for plant-based alternatives to your favorites like pizza, burgers, ice cream, and more. Even Burger King offers the Impossible Whopper and it’s quite tasty plus packed with 25 grams of protein!
8. At large gatherings (ahem, Thanksgiving), savor all the yummy veggie sides. Each year Tim and I nosh on all the sides complete with crescent rolls, cranberry sauce from a can (the best!), and pie. Lots of pie.
9. Create a colorful plate. Greens, reds, purples, whites, yellows, browns—all so pretty and filled with nutrients.
10. Keep the tough stuff out of the kitchen. For me, that’s sugar. Recently I had to throw away a half-eaten bag of vegan marshmallows to stop myself from popping them a few at a time. For you, it may be chips or pretzels. If it’s not around, we’re less likely to reach for it when hangry or stressed.
While this is a non-exhaustive list, I hope it’s a helpful one. Which one(s) most resonate with you? Bisous. x