An interview with Annie Mahon on Mindful Eating: Things I Did When I Was Hangry. Learn how to figure out what’s eating you, evaluate your activities and habits, and have a more peaceful relationship with food.
Direct download: Tranquility du Jour #357: Mindful Eating
Annie Mahon founded Circle Yoga in 2003 in order to bring mindfulness and yoga to people of all ages. She is the co-founder of DC Yoga Week and Yoga on the National Mall and the Opening Heart Mindfulness Community, and she is active in much of the grassroots community yoga and mindfulness activities in the Washington DC Area. She is also a writer and published her second book, Things I Did When I Was Hangry: Navigating a Peaceful Relationship with Food with Parallax Press in 2015. Read Annie’s mindfulness blog at rawmindfulness.com.
Annie holds masters degrees in both Computer Science (University of Michigan) and Religious Studies (Howard University). She is also trained in massage therapy.
Annie teaches mindfulness in the tradition of her primary teacher Thich Nhat Hanh and yoga in a mixed Anusara-mindfulness style. Other teacher and influences include Philip Moffit, Alan Watts, Jack Kornfield, Kate Miller, her four children, and the monks and nuns of Plum Village. In October 2009, Annie was ordained into the Buddhist Order of Interbeing with the ordination name True Blue Lake.
Annie is an ERYT-200, having completed an Anusara 400-hour training in 2004, and is also one of the first certified Children’s Yoga teachers in the country, holding a C-RYT.
She is certified as an Inner Relationship Focusing professional, and has studied and practiced non-violent communication (NVC) for over a decade, including with Marshall Rosenberg and Robert Gonzales.
Annie has a strong interest in using mindfulness, yoga, focusing, NVC, and therapeutic touch to help support reduce suffering in herself and others. She also pioneers community-based business and programs that foster shared decision making, rather than typical hierarchical structures. Toward that goal, in 2012 she gifted the equity in Circle Yoga to the workers, making it the first Cooperative Yoga Studio in the area, and one of the very first in the country.
- Website: rawmindfulness.com/
- Twitter: twitter.com/rawmindfulness
- Facebook: facebook.com/rawmindfulness/
- Book: rawmindfulness.com/book
- Former Tranquility du Jour podcast with Annie on Everyday Mindfulness
- Join my complimentary 52 Weeks of Tranquility Program
- New Year, New You Seasonal Podcast
- Fall’s online book club pick: Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Sign up for weekly Love Notes and access Tranquil Treasures
- Podcast app: Tranquility du Jour iPhone and Android
- Mini Retreat in DC: December 31
- Art + Asana in Costa Rica: February 13-20
- 8-week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction in DC: Starts February 26
- Art + Yoga in West Virginia: May 13-15
- Penning in Paris: June 6-10
- Art + Asana in Tuscany: October 8-15
- Writing in the Woods: October 28-30
- New to Tranquility du Jour? Peruse my FAQs.
- Tranquility University E-courses.
- Read along on Goodreads.
- Connect on Facebook.
- Follow on Twitter.
- Pin along on Pinterest.
- Eye candy on Instagram.
- Browse my books.
- Read about my passion for animals.
- Pen a review on iTunes.
- To listen, click on the player at the top of the post or click here to listen to older episodes.
- New to podcasting? Get more info at Podcast 411.
- Do you have iTunes? Click here and subscribe to the podcast to get the latest episode as released.
- Get the Tranquility du Jour apps to get the podcast automagically on iOS or Android.