To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.—Oscar Wilde
Happy Valentine’s Day week! Whether you’re single, coupled, or anything in between, this is your time.
Below you’ll find 10 ways to practice being your very own valentine today and every day. No date, dress, or lipstick needed.
1. Practice gratitude. Note what is working in your life right now. Take a moment to pen a gratitude list—clean water, warm home, clothing, good friend, partner, pet, income, shelter, health, energy, etc.
2. Move your body. Go for a walk or bike ride. Take a yoga, barre, or dance class. Stretch. Roll out your mat and do a sun salutation.
3. Hydrate. Drink eight 8-oz glasses daily. Start your day with hot water and lemon to detoxify. Sip green juice. Infuse your water with mint.
4. Rejuvenate. Get eight hours of sleep. Try earplugs, an eye mask, and soft sheets in a cool room. Nap. Listen to your body.
5. Eat clean. Go light on processed foods. I know, it’s Girl Scout cookie season, but seek out fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, and whole grains. And then savor a Thin Mint (or five!). Join our TDJ Eat Plants Facebook group for ideas.
6. Create space. When we’re scheduled from sun up past sun down even with things we love, it takes a toll. Interject moments of unscheduled time to daydream, nap, be spontaneous, write, read, and play.
7. Be still. Use apps like Headspace, Calm, and Mindfulness to track your meditation practice. Sit for 10 minutes and do nothing. Yes, nothing. Follow your breath in and out of the nose. Watch this TED Talk for inspiration.
8. Compliment. Make a list of things you like about yourself—pretty eyes, kind heart, sense of humor, organized, and more. Write a love letter and share what you admire about someone else close to you.
9. Get creative. Sit down with craft supplies and create something for yourself or a loved one from these 40 DIY ideas. Try one of these handmade Valentine’s cards options. Decorate your home with candles, flowers, and twinkle lights.
10. Design rituals. Start a new ritual that soothes such as chamomile tea and a hot bath before bed or writing in your journal each morning. What would allow you to infuse your every day with self-love?
Today, do something sweet just for you. Get a mani. Dress up and take yourself out to tea. Write yourself a love letter. Read a book cover to cover. Stay in bed. Sip something yummy—hot cocoa with vegan marshmallows, a cuppa tea, bubbly. Treat yourself to brunch. Declare a Bed Day surrounded by pups and books. Go for a stroll with no plan. Savor dark chocolate with sea salt. Buy yourself flowers.🌷Make a Netflix date with a bowl of popcorn and your most comfy clothing. Schedule something nourishing like a massage, attend a book talk, get a mani/pedi, a tea date with friend, or an embroidery workshop. Make a favorite meal or get meal delivery from your favorite restaurant. Adopt an orangutan.
Poet Audre Lorde said, “Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare.”
I challenge you to be your own valentine and let this be a lifelong romance like no other. You’re beautiful. Bisous. x