In 2016, I created this post on what to do while waiting for election results. Today’s the day many of us have been waiting for since that dark night and I woke up with a cocktail of anxiety, energy, and excitement.
Tonight will be long and while hitting refresh over and over is an option, I wanted to offer a few alternatives to combat the anxious energy.
- Walk your dog
- Write a love letter to Susan B. Anthony, Alice Paul, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Lucy Stone, Ida B. Wells, Frances E.W. Harper, and/or Mary Church Terrell
- Paint your nails red
- Soak in a lavender-infused bubble bath
- Organize a desk drawer
- Wear a pantsuit
- Order in your favorite meal
- Go for a run
- Pour a glass (or two) of bubbly
- Do yoga
- Dance this Election Day Spotify Playlist
- Take 10 deep breaths. Repeat.
- Dress in white to honor the Suffragettes
- Bake vegan cupcakes and top with red, white, and blue sprinkles
- Go for a brisk walk
- Rake leaves
- Write a letter of gratitude to a woman who has influenced you
- Document today in your journal
- Combat the isms: sexism, racism, classism, ableism, ageism, heterosexism, colorism, lookism, nativism
- Listen to classical music
- Make a list of gratitude
- Read an inspiring text
- Hug a loved one
- Write a thank you to an elected official
- Get involved with Women’s March
- Focus on what you can control
- Clean your WFH space
- Read about women’s history
- Watch Mrs. America or RBG
Above all, protect your mental health. Then hit refresh. Wishing you and yours a tranquil evening as the results come in. Fingers crossed.
Science is real. Black lives matter. No human is illegal. Women’s rights are human rights. Love is love. Kindness is everything. I heart you. Bisous. x