An interview with Dana Ellyn on Artistic Activism. Hear her transition from suburban wife to full-time artist, advice to aspiring artists, peek into her exhibit Speciesism, and learn the art history-inspired story behind my new pig painting.
Direct download: Tranquility du Jour #359: Artistic Activism
Dana Ellyn is a DC resident and full-time painter who lives and paints in her studio in a subsidized artist housing unit in downtown Washington DC. Ellyn committed herself to full-time status in 2002 when she decided to leave her corporate job and pursue painting. Her work is exemplified by a risk-taking vision, strong content, and colorful critiques of social norms.
Ellyn’s style sits on the fence between social realism and expressionism. Having spent her childhood and college years honing her skills and striving to be technically correct, during the past 12 years she has tasked herself with unlearning those restrictive habits. Ellyn strives to infuse more emotion and meaning in to each new painting she creates.
Ellyn’s paintings have stories to tell and opinions to profess. She delivers hard slaps to myths of all kinds – from religion, to politics to what it means to be a woman. Ellyn’s goal is to employ humor when holding a subject up to her artistic scrutiny. But, humor is as subjective as art and Ellyn’s brand of humor has tended to be a polarizing factor in her art. Love it or hate it, she definitely starts a dialogue.
From childhood until about the age of 30, Ellyn was quiet and reserved. She has now found her voice and she is making up for lost time.
- Website: danaellyn.com
- New Year, New You Seasonal Podcast
- Sign up for weekly Love Notes and access Tranquil Treasures
- Podcast app: Tranquility du Jour iPhone and Android
- Mini Retreat in DC: December 31
- Art + Asana in Costa Rica: February 13-20
- 8-week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction in DC: Starts February 26
- Art + Yoga in West Virginia: May 13-15
- Penning in Paris: June 6-10
- Art + Asana in Tuscany: October 8-15
- Writing in the Woods: October 28-30
- New to Tranquility du Jour? Peruse my FAQs.
- Tranquility University E-courses.
- Read along on Goodreads.
- Connect on Facebook.
- Follow on Twitter.
- Pin along on Pinterest.
- Eye candy on Instagram.
- Browse my books.
- Read about my passion for animals.
- Pen a review on iTunes.
- To listen, click on the player at the top of the post or click here to listen to older episodes.
- New to podcasting? Get more info at Podcast 411.
- Do you have iTunes? Click here and subscribe to the podcast to get the latest episode as released.
- Get the Tranquility du Jour apps to get the podcast automagically on iOS or Android.
Leave A Comment